Thursday, June 17, 2010

Literary Writers; Wine and Food

If you have to go out on a winter's night pick somewhere that's warm and inviting.
I scored on both counts last night. As part of the Bondi Winter Festival celebrations I went along to my favourite bookstore - 'Gertrude and Alice Cafe and Bookstore' for an evening aptly titled  "Famous Literary Drunks" accompanied by wine tasting and enhanced with foods to match the wines. When these writer's (quite a few of them Irish) weren't writing they were drinking. Most drank to write, but several combined both. I'd like their secret recipe. I can't drink and write at the same time and still manage to make sense.

Pointers I took away from the wine tasting
  • Wine matched with food is all about drinking with food rather than drinking for drinking's sake.
  • Tepranillo (Spanish grape) is a great full bodied red perfect, to serve with a lamb dish
  • Riedel Glassware (Austrian) is a must if you're looking to get the most from the wine.   Described by one wine afficiado as "the finest glasses for both technical and hedonistic purposes". They are shaped according to the type of wine they are designed to hold and consequently they have "a profound affect on the pleasure of drinking, bringing out the full character of the wine"
On the way home in the bus I sat beside a young woman who was just going out for the night as I was heading home. She was dressed in one of my pet subjects (see "Food and Fashion Observations") a short skirt, a waist length cotton jacket, fine textured leggings, and knee high boots; she was off to the Soccer World Cup outdoor venue at Darling Harbour. And yes, she admitted, much to my delight, to having "very cold" legs.

My favourite bookshop cafe
Cafe details:
Gertrude & Alice Cafe & Bookstore
46 Hall Street, Bondi Beach

Postscript - a foodie's delight
I enjoyed the 'best ever' chocolate and rasberry morsel today with my afternoon cup of coffee. Bursting with generous chunks of chocolate and sweet juicy raspberries it was to die for. I'll find out the name of the supplier and post it here for all to share.
Answer: the supplier of these heaven sent morsels - Manna from Heaven (Sydney based)
Check them out at http://www.mannafromheaven.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment