Monday, June 14, 2010

Food and Fashion Observations


Is he to blame? (see Girls in short skirts)


There's a huge 'foodie' awakening happening in this town.

Deli delights

Over the long weekend (Queen's Birthday) I've been doing what I enjoy the most -
wandering and observing to capture the pulse of what's going on around me.
Food Emporiums, temples to all that's considered to be of superior quality, are popping up in the more 'desirable' residential suburbs of Sydney. Selection is great, presentation top notch and prices sky high. I wouldn't like to have been the one paying the bill for the brimming over baskets of goodies I witnessed being presented at the check-out. For these gourmands, the cost of eating 'in' must be greater than the cost of eating 'out'. Add shopping, prep time, house cleaning, flowers etc and eating out presents a most attractive option.
To prove my point.....I joined friends for a Chinese meal at a restaurant in one of the more affluent suburbs.  All  courses were prepared to order, nothing was pre-prepared, food likes, dislikes, and agreeable combinations, weren't a problem, and the succulent vegetarian spring rolls and crunchy stir fried vegetables were my "best ever". The price? $35 a head. The equivalent to the cost of a jar of beautifully packaged Stilton, a small packet of walnuts and dates, and two truss tomatoes from foodies heaven. I rest my case.

Girls in short skirts





What's with these chicks, hasn't anyone told them that it's C16 degrees outside?
Didn't they check the temperature before they went out the door or were they prepared to dress to just to impress? I noted that the guys they were with were dressed for the weather. This triggered my curiosity. I went window shopping in the hopes of finding the answer. I found it. In  women's shop windows the bloodless, inanimate shop mannequins were sporting these tiny bum freezer skirts, and in men's shops the mannequins portrayed the perfectly packaged winter man, dressed to kill in high neck jumper, sporty scarf, heavy jacket and boots.
All things being equal........................?
Leggings aren't the answer either. Unless you've got legs as long as a super model it's a hard look to carry off. They're great with sloppy Joe's and long shirts. There not that great for middle aged woman who seem to adopt the leggings and artists smock look in an attempt to appear 'hip'

No comments:

Post a Comment